Driver Ed Instructor Training & Continuing Education
Take your driver education instructor training or continuing education courses at Five Star Driving School.
Driver Education Instructor Development Course I & II
Driver Training Instructor Development Courses I & II are taught as a 90 clock hour course that includes classroom, independent study, and in-car instruction. Successful candidates will eligible to apply for a state-issued Teacher Assistant License which will allow them to do in-car instruction for licensed driving schools in the State of Texas.
Five Star Driving School will be offering this class on an individual basis. A full schedule will be shared with students that are enrolled and have paid their fees.Register Now
Driver Education Instructor Development Course III
Driver Training Instructor Development Course III is a 45 clock hour course that includes classroom clinical teaching to students enrolled in the Driver Training Instructor Development Courses I & II. (You must have a TA Instructor License from TDLR to enroll in this course.) Successful candidates will eligible to apply for a state-issued Driver Education Teacher license which will allow them to do both classroom and in-car instruction for licensed driving schools in the state of Texas.
We will be offering this course on an individual basis.
Driver Training Instructor Development Courses I & II are a prerequisite for enrollment in this class. Driver Training Instructor Development Courses I, II & III can be taken together as a block.Register Now
Continuing Education for Driver Education Instructors
All driver education instructors are required to take a TDLR approved 4-hour driver education course every year.
Five Star Driving School offers this continuing education four times a year. Classes will be offered on March 27, 2022, May 15, 2022, and August 14. 2022.
Certificate of Completion will be issued when all attendance requirements are met and all fees have been paid.Register Now
How do I renew my instructor license?
You will receive a renewal form via mail 90 days before your license will expire. You will need to mail in the renewal form, required fee, and proof of completed continuing education.
How many hours of continuing education do I need?
You must complete four hours of continuing education.
What is acceptable continuing education?
- TDLR-approved 4-hour driver education course through a licensed driver education school. Enroll in this course at Five Star Driving School
- A course-specific to teaching techniques or related to driver education provided by an accredited college or university.*
- A program completed with national, state, or regionally sponsored in-service workshops, seminars, or conferences. These programs must be related to the practice of driver education or teaching techniques.
- Completion of a Drug Offender Education Program.*
- Public school 4-hour course if it relates to the practice of driver education or teaching techniques.
- A 6-hour driving safety, specialized driving safety, or drug/alcohol awareness course through a licensed school. (must complete all six hours)
- A licensed driver education instructor can receive credit if they teach an approved 4-hour driver education continuing education course.
- An 8-hour school bus driver re-certification training course.
*Can only be used once every three years and you can only use them during the licensed period before your renewal.
If I hold a Texas Teacher Certificate with the Texas Education Agency and a driver education instructor license with TDLR, can I use the same continuing education hours for both licenses?
Yes, if the course meets the 4-hour requirement and is related to teaching techniques or the practice of driver education.